Friday, December 21, 2012

I Read the News Today, Oh Boy

Since the recent tragedy in Newtown, CT, I've been filled deeply with sorrow and anger. I just don't understand how something that awful could happen. It is still unfathomable to me. When I first found out about this horrific incident, when I got home from school, I went straight to social media to rant about my opinion. I'm not really going to do that here because now that it's been a week, I'm sort of over the ranting stage. There's nothing I could do anymore, no one I can really convince. If it were my decision, guns would be illegal. However, in a country with very different thoughts than my own, that is highly unrealistic. I do think that only police officers and people who hunt (with a license) should be the only ones able to handle guns though. 
And it's just really a shame how many tragedies it had to take to make politicians think "gee, maybe it is time to start thinking about gun control." If they had just done that the first horrific massacre happened in a place like a school or movie theater we would have saved a lot of innocent lives. But that's just the way humans are. We wait until a circumstance gets to the worst possible stage before we think about acting or changing something about it. It's the same with global warming and helping the environment. 
I feel even closer to the situation since it happened in my state. It just goes to show you that it can happen anywhere. It's just awful to see something like this happen in general, but at Christmas time? This clearly shows there is something wrong with our country. And it's not only gun control. It's people. I think children need to be taught from a young age something about peace and love.
There is obviously something wrong with this world, and something needs to be done immedietly. Parents are burying their children over Christmas. If that's not a reason to consider outlawing guns, I don't know what is. Even though I wasn't directly affected by the tragedy, it hits me every day to see the new names and faces of children who's funerals will be occurring that day. It just isn't right. 
R.I.P. to the little angles, and the heroic teachers and staff that were killed in this unfortunate tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment